On Saturday 16th April 2016, Ishin Ryu Ju Jitsu as an organisation was nominated for an award “Association of the Year” in early February it was confirmed that we were in the top three. The Founder and Chief instructor (Soke Kevin Pell) his black belts, senior grades and Mac Robertson Shihan (A great friend to our organisation) made their way to the Lilleshall Hall National Sports Centre, Sheriffhales, Newport to attend these awards.
With the evening going in spectacular form and everyone enjoying the evening with fun and laughter. There were lots of awards being giving out for great achievements but nothing to amazing as Ishin Ryu Ju Jitsu being awarded “ASSOCIATION OF THE YEAR” Congratulations to Ishin Ryu Ju Jitsu and Soke Kevin Pell for this award.
Unfortunately, we did not have student of the month in April as we had the Easter break which meant that there were only a few weeks of training, so at the start of May we will be performing this.
Throughout the month of April, we have been working on a variety of throws, shoulder throw to name one of them. We started off with some basic drills, footwork and arm work before completing the entire throw. We spent the whole of one lesson getting the class to drill just the movement of this throw, mixing it up with different activities to help aid with repetition.
With the class now confident with what the arms and legs are doing we moved onto the complete throw, going over a few little helpful tips to landing safely. This was more geared towards the young infants in the class. With both classes now completing some descent throws, I would make it a lot more interesting by completing relay races and other activities to gain repetition.
We have also had many rounds of stand-up grappling to build confidence, the class really enjoys this. It’s a good time to test what you have been learning in class.
Below is some tips and advice that will help you in class. Keep up the great work!
Tips and advice for the Month
Please follow these guidelines…
- When entering or leaving the dojo, always face the front, bow and say “Osu”
- When late for class, kneel facing the instructor at the edge of the dojo floor, wait to be called into class.
- Do not eat, chew gun, smoke or drink in the dojo.
- Do not remove any part of your GI during training without being told to do so.
- Never practice unless an instructor is present.
- Do not leave your position without permission from the instructor.
- Address your instructor as Sempai, Sensei or Shihan as the case may be.
- Do not address an instructor by their first name in class.
- Do not swear, laugh, giggle, talk, lounge or act inattentively during training.
- Your GI must be washed and neat.
- Turn away from the front of class to adjust your GI.
- For the sake of safety and neatness, do not wear jewellery.
- Keep your toenails and fingernails cut short.
- Be sure to go to the toilet prior to training.
- Avoid eating for at least one hour before class starts.
- Acknowledge all instructions with a strong “Osu”
On Sunday 22nd May 2016, students from all over the country will be competing in the Ishin Ryu Ju Jitsu Children’s Championships to see who will be the National champion in their weight category. If you wish your son/daughter to participate in this event, then please remember that all forms need to be handed in by no later than the 14th May 2016. I would like to wish everyone the very best of luck and look forward to telling you all how everything went.
Please visit our website www.ishinryu.com as much as possible as I submit reports every month about the students training during the previous month. This is a great opportunity to see if you have been mentioned or appear in a photo.
We also have the new calendar page where you can have a look at upcoming events so you can plan ahead. You can also leave feedback on each of the reports or comment on your son/daughters club and share them to your Facebook pages.
If you have any questions or you are unsure of anything, please catch me at the club where I will be happy to help!
If you are on Facebook, please can you send me and Kevin Pell a friend request so if we need to pass on information quickly I can contact you, and when the reports go up I can share it to your Facebook page so you get it straight away.